Building on their 150+ year history in Milwaukee the Northwestern Mutual Tower and Commons will anchor a new skyline along the city’s lakefront. At 32-stories and over 1.1 million square feet the development is the largest office tower to be built in Milwaukee in 40 years. Working with a national design team, IBC Engineering Services is designing sustainable engineering systems for the 3-story Commons space that spans two city blocks. IBC designed the HVAC, electrical and plumbing system for the “pedestal” – approximately 400,000 sq. feet on 3 floors that serve as the base of the office tower.
The pedestal, dubbed the “Town Center” included:
- Training rooms for Northwestern Mutual’ s agents
- Employee dining to serve more than 3,000 meals per day
- Connections to nearby buildings on the office campus
- A grand event space for large corporate functions.
- A credit union
- A new company museum/visitor center with a dedicated café for the public.
The entire building is designed to achieve LEED Silver certification.